Governing boards today play a pivotal role in ensuring the safeguarding of children, and this includes online safeguarding and the impact of digital technology.
It is vital that Governors:
- Understand their online safety responsibilities and accountabilities
- Have an awareness of online threats, risks and trends in technology use and internet use
- Support and critically challenge the school in implementing effective online safety policy, procedure and practice
- Ensure their school provides an appropriate level of filtering and monitoring which safeguards young people from risky online content and contact
- Receive and act upon regular online safety reports from senior leaders
- Ensure children are taught about online safeguarding through teaching and learning opportunities as part of a broad and balanced curriculum
- Provide all staff with appropriate online safety training
They set out some FAQs and key resources here.