The Department for Education (DfE) has confirmed a number of changes to primary assessment. These were initially proposed in a consultation earlier this year.
Changes confirmed this week include:
- a new assessment in reception will be introduced from 2020 to be used as a baseline for measuring progress through primary school
- key stage 1 assessment will be made non-statutory from 2023
- the requirement to submit teacher assessment data at the end of key stage 2 will be removed from 2018-19
- a multiplication tables check will be introduced from 2019-20 at the end of year 4
- the early years foundation stage profile (EYFS) will be reviewed
teacher assessment of writing will be improved, giving more emphasis to teachers’ professional judgement, and this will happen from this academic year